There are a number of groups, organizations and projects working on different aspects of a more sustainable transportation future for Needham. Information about the groups and projects is below.
Needham in Motion - Many of these groups met in late October, 2009 to share information. At that meeting, the representatives agreed to work together on running a series of events in May, 2010 to highlight transportation options.
- Green Line Extension - a cooperative effort among groups in Needham and Newton to get the Green Line extended from Newton Highands down Needham Street to Needham using the existing railbed.
- Needham League of Women Voters Transportation Study - Tad Staley is coordinating this study for the League.
- Transportation Survey - The Green Needham Collaborative Transportation Study Group did a survey to analyze the transportation needs of Needham residents.
- Bay Colony Rail Trail There are only seven road crossings along the seven mile inactive rail corridor between Needham and Medfield. The tracks run along the Needham Town Forest, across the Charles River at Charles River Peninsula on Fisher St., then through over three miles in Dover, much of which is quiet conservation land in Dover, before concluding for a mile and half in Medfield. The line is owned by the MBTA and is no longer used by its current operator, the Bay Colony Railroad. Representatives of both companies have indicated that they are open to a rail to trail conversion.
Local organizations with an interest in transportation issues and planning:
- Needham Bikes: Needham Bikes is a biking advocacy group that promotes the safe and widespread use of bicycles for transportation and recreation in Needham, Massachusetts. Encouraging bicycling is a simple approach toward improving public health. With more people bicycling, communities experience reduced traffic demands, improved air quality and greater physical fitness.
- Friends of Woods and Waters
- Safe Routes to School
- Eat Well, Be Fit
- Needham Health Commission
- Needham Transportation Committee (Town-appointed committee)
- Needham Trail Committee (Town-appointed committee)