Wind Turbine Feasibility/Status
Formal Wind Study
The production of a formal wind study, usable for planning and funding purposes, will require the services of a professional engineer. While the formal study can only be completed and published after sufficient measurements have been taken (about a year), planning and evaluation work can begin earlier.
We are working with a professional engineering firm to design an Engineer in Residence program.
- The concept is similar to the Artist in Residence' process that resulted in the installation of the High School Lobby sculptures.
- The program would support a professional engineer working on the Wind Study to involve and engage students in the process.
- The outcome of the program would be the formal wind study analysis.
- We are just beginning to work on the design of the program.
- We will be seeking funding for the program.
- Town Meeting approves Articles 3 and 4 of the 2010 Annual Town Meeting warrant.
- Article 3 - Amend Zoning By-Law - Temporary Meteorological Towers
- Article 4 - Amend Zoning By-Law - Map Change to Temporary Meteorological Tower Overly District
- Meetings to finalize funding, tower specifications and plans for installation.
- A zoning article creating an overlay district at the RTS to allow the erection of the met tower has been developed by the Planning Department
- It was presented to the Planning Board at their February 23rd meeting
- The article must be approved by Town Meeting in May
- Feburary 25th - The Massachusetts DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) responded favorably to the Town's submission, granting their approval for the erection of the MET tower on the landfill.
- Underway: Work with Lee Newman (Needham Planning Department) & Planning Board on Zoning by-law permitting Met Tower erection for May 2010 Annual Town Meeting
- Lee will begin drafting a zoning by-law narrowly defined for the Met Tower.
- (Zoning to allow a turbine would be drafted later if the feasibility study is favorable)
- Public hearings will be planned for the late fall.
- Done: Meeting with Lee, Chip, Tony DelGaizo, Mario Array on completing an engineering design for the pad for the Met Tower for submission to the DEP
- Plan is complete and will be submitted to the DEP before October 1st
- DEP has 120 days to respond
- Done: Meeting with the Selectmen to seek a sense of support from the board
- Board enthusiastically support plans for wind feasibliity analysis at their August 11th meeting
- Underway: Obtain updated cost information, develop implementation plan and schedule
- August 13th meeting held to finalize plans
- See Planning notes
- Planned: Submit request for Clean Choice/Solar Challenge Funds to MTC
- Target November 15th for submission
- Planned: Publicize project and build support
- Target late fall