How to recycle just about everything
Recycling at the Needham RTS (town dump)
Take a look at what is accepted for recycling at the Needham RTS
Did you know? In addition to paper, cardboard, bottles, cans, and plastic, the RTS accepts:
- Milk & Juice Cartons; Drink Boxes (commingle)
- Aluminum foil and pie plates (commingle)
- Miscellaneous Metals: items such as metal shoe racks, small plumbing pipes/fixtures, metal bed frames, metal shelving, lawn mowers, bicycles and pots and pans.
- Antifreeze and used motor oil
- In the Universal Waste Shed (next to the metal recycling area): Button batteries, Ni-cad and lithium (rechargeable) batteries, CFL light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, cell phones
CDs, DVDs, audio tapes, video tapes, etc.
You can send your "techno trash" to GreenDisk to be recycled. Here are some of the things they take: (See their website for a full list):
- All forms of electronic media and their cases: diskettes, zip disks, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, DVDs et al, video tape, audio tape, game cartridges, DAT, DLT and virtually all other type of computer tapes.
- Hard drives, Zip and Jaz drives, jump drives, etc.
- All types of cell phones, pagers, PDAs and their chargers, cables, and headset accessories
The Niketown store at 200 Newbury Street in Boston will accept any brand of old sneaker for recycling.
Remodeling? Many items can be donated to the Boston Building Materials Resource CenterSome of the items accepted: Countertops, Sinks and faucets, Vanities, Tubs and enclosures, Ceramic tile, Accessories (towel racks, etc.) Windows (no lead paint please), Vinyl and wood replacement windows, Doors (no lead paint please), and more!
To give away usable items
Needham Freecycle Grouphas over 1000 members. You can give things away or find things you need.